Steel Pan Books, Articles, Videos and Web Sites
- Ad Hoc Specification Committee on Steel Pan (1989):
- "Proposal for a Trinidad and Tobago Standard - Glossary of Terms Relating to the Steel Pan. TTS 1 45 000.", Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards.
- Achong, Anthony (2013)
- Secrets of the Steelpan: Unlocking the Secrets of the Science, Technology, Tuning of the Steelpan. ISBN: 9781483634852. Order from: XLibris.
- Blake, Felix I. R.
- The Trinidad and Tobago Steel Pan: History and Evolution. ISBN 0-952-52280-9 (hc). Order from: 16 Leybourne Street, London NW1 8BX.
- Fletcher, N & Rossing, T. (1991):
- "The Physics of Musical Instruments", ISBN 0-387-96947-0. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Goddard, George (1991):
- "Forty Years in the Steelbands. 1939-1979." Edited by Roy D. Thomas. Karia Press, 41 Rheola Close, London N17 9 TR. ISBN 1-85465-034-3 Pb.
- Grant, Cy (1999):
- Ring of Steel - Pan Sound and Symbol. Macmillan Education, London. 1999. ISBN 0-333-66128-1. 128pp. Price £15. A book on the history, culture and development of pan.
- Gray, John (2015):
- Carnival, Calypso and Steel Pan - A Bibliographic Guide to Popular Music of the English-speaking Caribbean and its Diaspora. African Diaspora Press. ISBN: 9780984413454. Price: $124.95. 496 pages. Pub. Date: March 2015.
- Johnsson, Kim:
Renegades!: The History of the Renegades Steel Orchestra of Trinidad & Tobago
ISBN 0-333-73311-8. Editors: Helene Bellour and Milla Riggion. Photography: Jeffrey Chock.
Renegades! tells the story of the steelband movement in words and images, focusing especially on the history of one which, perhaps more than any other, has come to symbolise the success of steelband music: The Renegades.
- Kronman, Ulf (1992):
- Steel Pan Tuning - a Handbook for Steel Pan Making and Tuning.
Part of the series: Musikmuseets skrifter, ISSN 0282-8952.
Fully published on the net Here presented in full format, including pictures and drawings. Hypertext presentation done by the author, with courtesy of the publisher, Musikmuseet in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Molineaux, Othello (1988):
- Beginning Steel Drum. ISBN: 0-89724-973-9. 48 pp. paperback, includes CD and poster.
- Morin, Francine L. (1988):
- "A Descriptive Study of a Canadian Elementary Educator's Experience with the Trinidad Tradition of Steelband", University of North Dakota.
- Olsen, Kristofer W. (2016):
- Molten Steel: The Sound Traffic of the Steelpan. A dissertation presented to the faculty of the College of Fine Arts of Ohio University. A PDF version of the dissertation may be downloaded here: http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=ohiou1462448819
- Sandiford, Simeon L. (1987):
- "Steel Bands of Trinidad and Tobago" - An information folder included with the CD-album F/CD 8201 from Delos International Inc., 2210 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 664, Santa Monica, CA 90403.
- Sealey, J. & Malm K. (1982):
- "Music in the Caribbean", Hodder & Stoughton. London.
- Seeger, P. (1964):
- "Steel drums - how to play them and make them", Oak. Publ. New York.
- Stuempfle, Stephen (1995):
- The steelband movement : the forging of a national art in Trinidad and Tobago, Univ. of Pennsylvania Press. 287 p. ISBN: 0-8122-3329-8, 0-8122-1565-6
- Thomas, Jeffrey (editor) (1992):
- Forty Years of Steel: An Annotated Discography of Steel Band and Pan Recordings, 1951-1991. Publisher: Greenwood Pub Group. ISBN: 0313279527
- Wilson, Salah A (1999):
- Steelpan Playing With Theory. ISBN 0-9686188-0-4.
- Wilson, Salah A (2008):
- Poco a Poco (Step by Step). ISBN 978-0-9686188-2-0.
- Aho, William R (1987):
- Steelband Music in Trinidad and Tobago: The Creation of a People's Music. Latin American Music Review, Vol.8, No.1, 1987, pgs. 26-58.
- Alexis, C., O'Connor, A. & Rossing, T. (1986):
- "Tonal design and tuning of Caribbean steel drums", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 80. No. Sup.1, pp. S102.
- Ameerali, Aaron O.; Sangster, Nadine; Persad, Prakash; Mitchell, Claron (2016):
To Design, Build and Test a Device to Assist in the
Grooving Process of the Steel Pan Musical Instrument.
International Journal of Materials, Mechanics and Manufacturing, Vol. 4, No. 3, August 2016, p. 187-190. DOI: 10.7763/IJMMM.2016.V4.253
- Borde, P. (1973):
- "The Sounds of Trinidad; the Development of the Steel Drum Bands", Black Perspective, Vol. I. No. 1, pp. 45-49. Caribbean Quarterly. Vol. 4, nos. 3 - 4.
- Fletcher, N. (1978):
- "Mode locking in nonlinearly excited inharmonic musical oscillators", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 64. No. 6, pp. 1566-69.
- Fletcher, N. (1985):
- "Nonlinear frequency shifts in quasispherical-cap shells: Pitch glide in Chinese gongs", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 78. No. 6, pp. 2069-73.
- Fletcher, N. (1986):
- "Nonlinearities in Musical Acoustics", Acoustics Australia, Vol. 14. No. 3, pp. 72-74.
- Gibson, G. (1986):
- "Ellie Mannette on the beginnings of pan in Trinidad", Percussive Notes, Vol. 24(4). No. 34, pp. 36-37.
- Hampton, C., Alexis, C. & Rossing, T. (1987):
- "Note Coupling in Caribbean Steel Drums", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 82. No. Sup.1, pp. S68.
- Hansen U. & Rossing, T. (1987):
- "Modal Analysis of a Caribbean Steel Drum", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 82. No. Sup.1, pp. S68.
- Hansen U., Hampton, S. & Rossing, T. (1989):
- "Acoustics of Caribbean Steel Drums", 13th International Congress on Acoustics. Yugoslavia. 1989., pp. 41-44.
- Ingram, Amelia (2001):
- Reinventing Steel Pan on Record: Local and Global Dialectics. CBMR Digest, Vol. 14, No 1, Spring 2001.
- Johnson, Kim (1998):
- "Notes on pans". The Drama Review, Fall 1998.
- Joseph, Terry (2001):
- Remembering 'Spree' Simon. April 18, 2001 in TriniSoca.com
- Kronman, U. & Jansson, E. (1988):
- "Acoustics of the Steelpan; Tone Generation and Tuning - An Introductory Study of Methods for Measurements.", STL-QPSR, No. 4/1988, pp. 59-73.
- McCalman, Lionel (2003):
- "Steelbands in Schools: the Instructor Dependency Model vs. the Teacher Transferency Model". New Era in Education, Volume 84, Number 2, September 2003, pages 42-50. Web: www.neweraineducation.co.uk/
- Malm, K (1988):
- "The African Heritage in the Trinidad Steelband and its Music". Conference manuscript for the ITCM colloquium in Havanna.
- O'Connor A. (1981):
- "Steel Drums - Pan, heartbeat of a nation", Percussive Notes, Vol. 19. No. 3, pp. 54-60.
- Rennie, Bukka (199):
- Lies and Distortions of Pan. November 11, 1999 in TriniSoca.com
- Rossing, Thomas (1996):
- "Music from Oil Drums: The Acoustics of the Steel Pan". Physics Today (March 1996)
- Rossing, T. (1976):
- "Acoustics of percussion instruments, part I", The Physics Teacher, Vol. 14, pp. 546-55.
- Rossing, T. (1977):
- "Acoustics of percussion instruments, part II", The Physics Teacher, Vol. 15, pp. 278-88.
- Rossing, T. (1982):
- "Chimes and bells", Percussive Notes, Vol. 19. No. 3, pp. 42-57.
- Rossing, T. (1982):
- "Nonlinear effects in percussion instruments", Percussive Notes, Vol. 19. No. 3, pp. 68-72.
- Rossing, T. & Fletcher, N. (1983):
- "Nonlinear vibrations in plates and gongs", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 17. No. 1, pp. 345-51.
- Rossing, T. & Peterson R. (1982):
- "Vibrations of Plates, Gongs and Cymbals", Percussive Notes, Vol. 19. No. 3.
- Rossing, T. & Shepherd, R. (1982):
- "Vibrational Modes of Plates and Cymbals", Proc. of the 1st internat. conf. on Modal Analysis, Orlando. 1982.
- Rossing, T. & Shepherd, R. B. (1983):
- "Acoustics of Cymbals", 11e ICA, pp. 329 - 333.
- Rossing, T., Hampton, S. & Boverman, J. (1986):
- "Acoustics of Caribbean Steel Drums", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 80. No. Sup.1, pp. S102.
- Wu, Corinna (1998):
- "Musical Metal: Science catches up with the shimmering sound of steel drums". Science News, Vol. 154, No. 15, October 10, 1998, p. 236. [Paywalled article]
- Steel Pan Orchestra | Virtual Museum Curator Tour
- Learn more about the resilient history of the steel pan in this Virtual Visit with Global Musical Instrument Museum curator Daniel Piper.
- The birth of the steel drum - presented by Kevin Martin at TEDxChesterRiver
- Kevin Martin, musician and instructor, has a passion. For years, he has been studying, performing with, composing for, and building the only instrument created in the 20th century: the steel drum. Kevin's talk and performance gives us insight into the social history, the musical potential, and the future of this melodic, percussive instrument.
- Music from Oil Drums (1956)
- The film presents Pete Seeger (who wrote a manual for playing steel drums) visiting steel drums makers and players in trinidad.
- Kim Loy Wong interviewed by Pete Seeger
- In the early 1940s, Kim Loy Wong was a member of the first teenage steelband in Trinidad, East Side Kids. He later moved on to other steelbands before starting the HiLanders in the 1950s. In 1956, while with the HiLanders, he was approached by famous US folklore singer, Peter Seeger, who was interested in how the steelpan was made. [Information about Kim Loy Wong supplied by "Best of Trinidad".]
- Ellie Mannette - Father of the Modern Steel Drum
- Smithsonian Folklife Festival has published a Youtube video where pan pioneer Ellie Mannette presents his involvement in the beginnings of pan.
- Ellie Mannette, born in Trinidad in 1927, is considered "the father of the modern steel drum." Mannette worked for 75 years to develop and popularize the steel drum, creating seven of the ten instruments used in steel drum bands today.
- Videography by Charles Weber, John Wetmore, Marinna Guzy, Michael Headley, Andrea Curran. Edited by Julia Narrow. Published on YouTube 19 Apr 2013
- Steel Pan Drum Modern Manfacturing
- A modern way of making the Steel Drum/Pan that was invented in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1930's. Submitted by VibesTube.
- Making a Steel Drum Steel Pan Tenor Pan - video by IsDePanInMe
Nickname IsDePanInMe has published a YouTube video showing the making of a tenor pan, where a young Ray Holman describes the set-up of the notes on the Tenor Pan.
- How To Make Your Own Steel Drum by David Beery, Smarty Pans
A 60 minute step by step 'how to' VIDEO "How To Make Your Own Steel Drum" (#V1010). Hosted by David Beery, owner of Smarty Pans.
This unprecedented 60 minute 'how to' video shows the entire process of how to make a professional single tenor pan in 18 simple steps.
Includes information on finding a barrel, shaping, sinking, tuning, chroming and much more. Visit at: smartypansmusic.com
- The Rhythm in Steel
- A full-length film (1h 15 mins) presenting the story of a retired doctor sailing in the West Indies, who discovers the origins of the steel pan. Contains some interesting information regarding the building of pans and their history.
- Web Sites dedicated or related to Steel Pan
- Steel pan educator Gaye's Web Site on Steel Pans
Steel pan educator Gaye from Jamaica has set up an informative web site on steel pans
This is how she describes the site:
Got questions about the steel pan (steel drums)? Or are you just curious about this new and innovative instrument? Steelpan-steeldrums-information.com is your one-stop resource for tips and information on how to play the steel pans, its history, how they are made and much more!
- When Steel Talks - website on Pan In New York
- When Steel Talks is dedicated to pan worldwide with particular emphasis on Pan In New York. The purpose is to highlight the genius and beauty of the instrument, its music and the people who play, support, and love this artform without compromise.
- Steelbandszene Schweiz
- A Swiss site for Bands, Sound, Gigs, and Pan-News maintained by Martin Baggenstos
- Pan Jumbie
- Daily Pan News from Switzerland
- Classical solo steelpan by Sune Borregaard
- Sune Borregaard has made som very nice solo recordings of Bach sonatas on his alto (double tenor) pan, tuned by Rudy Smith.
- Facebook pages and groups dedicated or related to Steel Pan
- When Steel Talks
- When Steel Talks is dedicated to pan worldwide. It is a Basement Recordings, Inc. initiative designed to promote and educate the global community on, the culture of the Steelband.
- Steel Pan Around The World (Closed group)
- Steel Pan Around The World is a private facebook group for discussions among Pan Players from around the world, created 2013, presently listing 3200 members.